Jorge Pontt, IEEE Senior Member. He received the Engineer and M.S. degrees in electrical engineering from the Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María (UTFSM), Valparaíso, Chile, in 1977. He speaks English and German. Spanish Mother language.
Invited Researcher and Professor at the Technische Hochschule Darmstadt, Darmstadt, Germany (1979–1980), the University of Wuppertal, Wuppertal, Germany (1990), and the University of Karlsruhe, KIT (2000–2001), Karlsruhe, Germany.
Since 1977, he has been with UTFSM, where he is currently:
• Professor in the Department of Electronics Engineering,
• Director of CASIM Center Automation and Supervision of Mining Industry.
• Director of the Laboratory for Reliability and Power Quality LACSE.
• Director of CNP-USM (Mining Testing Technology Center)
• Applied R&D, and Consultant to the mining industry, particularly, in the analysis and efficiency improvements, as well as, failure analysis, design and application of power electronics, drives, instrumentation, power quality and smart systems, with the management of more than 80 consulting and applied R&D projects. Some Cases: Codelco Chuquicamata Ball mill (Electrical fire), Codelco Andina SAG-GMD failure, Codelco El Teniente SAG1-GMD and SAG2-GMD failures, Candelaria SAG Mill issues, Minera Los Pelambres Electrical System and Concentrator issues, Concentrator Collahuasi SAG-GMD failures, Antamina SAG GMD Failures, among others.
• Co-author of 12 granted Patents (3 Int’l and 9 Chilean) and other Patents applications, concerning innovative instrumentation systems employed in high-power converters, large grinding mill and pump drives, with industrial applications and technology transfer in 5 Continents.
• During 2015 co-author of Two Chilean patents applications.
• Coauthor of Harmonix, Software for harmonic analysis of industrial systems. Coauthor of more than 100 international refereed journals and conference papers (38 papers ISI).
• Director of several projects Fondecyt&Fondef with R&D grants from CONICYT, including international collaboration.
• Co-founder of spin-offs. Currently, he is director of two technology-based companies.
• Eminent Engineer of the year 2008, IEEE Region 9 (LatinAmerica).
• Award of “Best technologic Development 2014”, given from AIE-Chile, (Chilean Assoc. of Electrical and Electronic Industry).
• Chair IEEE Industry Applications Society (IAS)-Chile Chapter and Past-Chair IEEE IAS Mining Industry Committee.